PHCC “Accelerates Impact” at CONNECT 2012
For Immediate Release:
October 9, 2012
PHCC rang in 130 years of industry excellence at the Oct. 3-5 CONNECT 2012 in Philadelphia. PHCC’s annual conference proved the perfect time to not only recognize PHCC’s past contributions to the industry and society, but also to celebrate the momentum that is building for the future.
In this rebounding economy, attendees learned the best ways to break through business challenges and accelerate impact on their bottom line. Over the course of just three days, attendees shared and gained new skills from a slew of results-oriented workshops, seminars and networking activities.
Innovative, practical solutions were the name of the game at CONNECT 2012. Keynote speaker Jason Dorsey kicked off the event with “Crossing the Generational Divide,” a guide to navigating the challenges and strategic opportunities presented by an increasingly cross-generational workforce. During the educational sessions that followed, attendees discovered ways to diversify their businesses with new offerings, such as whole-building retrofits, hydronic systems, lean construction practices and PHCC’s Water Audit Certification program.
The PHCC Auxiliary and the Educational Foundation set their sights on the future, premiering a new career video that encourages middle and high school students to consider a profession in the plumbing and HVACR trades. The video is available for download at www.phccweb.org.
Philadelphia itself was another star of this year’s event. Members of PHCC of Pennsylvania graciously welcomed attendees to the city of brotherly love with authentic Philadelphia snacks and memorabilia. Famous Philadelphian Ben Franklin even made an appearance as the emcee of the 2012 PHCC Awards Luncheon, and the Mummers String Band provided a memorable send-off at the closing reception.
Jim Finley Receives Col. Scott Award
Past National President (2007-2008) Jim Finley, C.N. Finley Inc., New Orleans, La., was the 2012 recipient of the prestigious Col. George D. Scott award. The award recognizes a PHCC member who has provided years of service and unselfish devotion to his/her association and industry, and whose industry efforts have provided many benefits to other p-h-c contractors.
Changing of the Guard
Kevin Tindall, Tindall & Ranson Plumbing & Heating, Princeton, N.J., was elected 2012-2013 vice president during the Oct. 5 PHCC Annual Business Meeting.
That evening during CONNECT 2012’s closing reception, David Dugger ofShoffnerKalthoff Mechanical Electrical Service, Knoxville, Tenn., was installed as 2012-2013 president, succeeding 2011-2012 President Keith Bienvenu.
Click on links below to see two recent presidential profiles that appeared in the industry trade press:
Plumbing & Mechanical: http://digital.
Other leaders are:
- President-elect: Steve Rivers, Rivers Plumbing, Heating & Air, Pleasanton, Calif.
- Secretary: Craig Lewis, REC Industries, Inc., Bryan, Texas
- Zone Directors: Zone 1: Chris Bowman, White-Bowman Heating & Cooling, Inc., Cheshire, Conn.; Zone 2: Rick Thompson, Shoffner Mechanical Services, Knoxville, Tenn.; Zone 3: Larry Fischer, Prima Plumbing, Seattle, Wash.; Zone 4: Ray Jones, Raven Mechanical, Houston, Texas
- AEC President: Rocco Fana, executive director, PHCC of Ohio
- Auxiliary President: Sandy Stack, Seattle, Wash.
President-Elect: Beth Killen, PHCC of Tennessee
Past President/Treasurer: Dave Davia, Colorado AMPC
Two-Year Directors: Mike McGraw, Pennsylvania PHCC; Danielle Dorsey, San Diego PHCC; Nicole Urizzo, New Jersey PHCC; Dave Davia, Colorado AMPC; Rocco Fana, PHCC Ohio
One-Year Directors: Beth Killen, PHCC of Tennessee; Ellen Whitaker, Plumbing & Mechanical Association of Georgia; Tom Theroux, PHCC of Massachusetts; Jeff Beiriger, Wisconsin PHCC; Jim Pendergrass, North Carolina Plumbing and Mechanical Association
President-elect: Cheryl Mosier
Vice President: Jan Dugger
Membership Secretary: Theresa May
Recording Secretary: Kathy Tindall
Treasurer: Patty Jones
Marketing Secretary: Heidi Everly
Award Winners Revealed
During CONNECT 2012’s Awards Luncheon and the closing reception, several award winners were recognized.
- PHCC/Delta Apprentice of the Year—Orbelin Roman, Universal Plumbing, Las Vegas, Nev.
- PHCC/Delta Plumbing Contractor of the Year—Mary Jean Anderson, Anderson Plumbing, Heating & Air, San Diego, Calif.
- PHCC HVACR Contractor of the Year—Mike Giordano and Butch McGonegal, United Air Temp, Springfield, Va.
- PHCC 2012 Legislative Excellence Award—PHCC of Illinois
- PHCC Grassroots Advocacy Award—PHCC of Pennsylvania
- AEC Spectrum Award—Tom Theroux, PHCC of Massachusetts Executive Director, Braintree, Mass.
- Federated Insurance’s “Safety First!” Contractor of the Year Award—Kathy Chambliss, Chambliss Plumbing, San Antonio, Texas
Plumbing Apprentice Contest Winners
- 1st Place—Adam Coyle, John’s Reliable Plumbing, Chester Heights, Pa.
- 2nd Place—Justin Duke, D. E. Kirby, Inc., Portsmouth, Va.
- 3rd Place—Jake Knight, Murphy Company, St. Louis, Mo.
- Auxiliary 3-D Award—Patricia Blank, Depew, N.Y.
- Larry Dore Auxiliary Member of the Year—Harley Perry, Perry Plumbing, San Diego, Calif.
- Larry Dore Auxiliary Member of the Year (Runner up)—Claudia Henrichsen
Auxiliary Robert M. Cox Image Awards:
- Humanitarian Award for Image 1st Place—PHCC Auxiliary of New Orleans Louisiana, PHCC Auxiliary of Illinois, PHCC Auxiliary of Minnesota
- Humanitarian Award for Image 2nd Place—PHCC Auxiliary of Lincoln, Nebraska
- Humanitarian Award for Image honorable mention—PHCC of Louisiana State
- Humanitarian Award for Recruitment 1st Place—PHCC Auxiliary of Lincoln, Nebraska; PHCC Auxiliary of Illinois and PHCC Auxiliary of Minnesota
- Humanitarian Award for Recruitment 2nd Place—PHCC Auxiliary of Delaware
- Humanitarian Award for Recruitment Honorable Mention—PHCC Auxiliary of New Jersey
Chapter Excellence Awards
Large State Associations— PHCC of Texas
Mid-Size State Associations— PHCC of Tennessee
Small Local State Associations— PHCC of Bloomington/Normal
Distinguished Chapter Designation—PHCC of Texas, PHCC of Tennessee, PHCC of Bloomington / Normal, PHCC of Indiana, PHCC of Illinois, PHCC of Iowa, PHCC of Louisiana and PHCC of Ohio
Honorary Memberships in PHCC—National Association
- Dennis Broderick, InSinkErator senior vice president of wholesale sales
- Sherry Hernandez, P.I.P.E. Nevada, Las Vegas, Nev.
- Richard Lisle, former executive director of Mechanical Contractors Association of Southern Nevada
- Dan McLaughlin, Plumbing Contractors Association of Chicago and Cook County, Orland Park, Ill.
- Ted Sikorski, former Bradford White vice president of marketing